Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Armistead Maupin

Right after I came out*, and was wondering just how I could be one of these 'writer' things and also be gay, it was Armistead Maupin who showed me the way...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketAlthough he lived in San Francisco in the 1970s - which is surely Oz and Atlantis rolled into one as far as gay men are concerned - his gay characters were already living integrated lives. Although I wouldn't call Maupin a preachy writer Tales of the City demonstrated, over the course of 6 books, just how such a thing could be accomplished.

It's a message I carry in my heart today. At times of crisis I've turned to Tales of the City to find some gentlemanly bit of encouragement to help me carry on. I'm grateful for them, and to him for writing them. I'm also grateful that, unlike so many others, it wasn't Gordon Merrick's poisonous writings I encountered first or things might have turned out entirely different for me.

*In the late Cretaceous period.
*

share on: facebook

No comments: