Thursday, November 01, 2007

A State Of The Blog Address

It's official! October was the most productive month yet at the Pop Culture Institute. 247 posts easily beats the previous record held by March, in which I made 214; this puts my stated goal of attaining 2,008 posts by New Year's Day 2008 a likelihood.

It's also the month the royal we became a literal we as I welcomed a new contributor in Seumas Gagne, whose three posts alone have generated nearly as much traffic as my 244; there was a while there when, if one were to Google "Dumbledore Unrequited", his article came up first, which means Mr. Gagne is well-connected to the zeitgeist. It also means that I must be some kind of super genius for retaining him; once I figure out how to make this puppy pay for itself he will be making out like a bandit.

There is still much to do, which is always the way with me; never content to rest on my laurels (which, besides everything else, are pointy) I am always looking at new places to make improvements. The recently added ClustrMap (located to your right, beneath the links) came from Library Muscle Guy, and gives me something else to obsess over, so thanks for that Tank.

I have just about gotten over my lack of comments - mainly because I look at some of the comment threads at sites like Joe.My.God and think I wouldn't care to play host to the name calling and didacticism I see over there; and that's one of the good sites. I've stumbled across some blogs where the comment rolls qualify as hate crimes, and not just on YouTube either.

I have even gotten over the relatively low number of page hits we get, since I am able to see now that they are trending upwards in the preferred manner (ie: gradually). It looks like quite a few people subscribe to me via Google news reader (which blog friend Y|O|Y pointed out to me the other day - thanks for the heads up!). Viral marketing via HaloScan on several sites also appears to be generating results, as is a similar effort via YouTube.

Another suggestion from Y|O|Y is that I ramp up the sexual content to draw in readers; how exactly to increase sexual content when I am essentially a functional celibate eludes me. Plus there's the other matter of how to fit it in (!) which I will be discussing with my team over the next few weeks. Not to worry; I have a few ideas up my sleeve, and even more up my pant leg.

So now the thing that sticks in my craw is how to increase my authority at Technorati - it's been stuck at 7 since I joined, and there are no indications on their website (that I can find) how to increase it. Suggestions, anyone?
share on: facebook

5 comments:

Gavin said...

I only suggested the sex talk in response to your question of how to increase your hits. You'll notice that I, too, never post about sex due to a lack of activity!

Glad I helped with the Google Reader thingy. See, things aren't always as bad as they seem, just usually. :)

I have no idea about Technorati. I've searched and searched to find out what "authority" even means with no success. If I knew what it meant, maybe I could help you (and myself). My guess is that they track the number of blogs and posts that link to your site. How that affects the number, and even what the scale is, I don't know.

michael sean morris said...

I have an interesting idea to increase the sexy talk on PCI - cumming soon, as they say.

It turns out that a lot of people seem to subscribe to me via Google Reader or RSS, and I think Blogspot has a similar service.

As for Technorati, every time I go on that site I hear Darth Vader's theme in my head; they're very secretive about what they do.

It's all been a very interesting learning curve, admittedly. Thanks for all your help over the epast few months.

Seumas Gagne said...

Let us do lunch next time I'm in town, Boss. I might have a thought or two and a couple connect-the-dots observations.

Then you can get pissed at me and storm out of the house! Just once for old times sake?

Namaste

michael sean morris said...

Oh goody. I love playing connect-the-dots. Plus, if you're in town next weekend (Nov 10-11) I can afford to pay. It's the least I can do for the 40 page views your articles got me.

I'm afraid, though, my storming out days are just about over. I've been seeking the counsel of Mary (J. Blige, that is) and it's "No More Drama" for me. I may, however, throw a drink in your face, 'cause that's both funny and camp, and a nod to all my girls out in 1930s Hollywood.

All things considered, I'm happy with the progress the blog is making, thrilled with the content, and fairly bursting with energy and new ideas. I'm even considering going out on a date - strictly for the blog, though. I don't plan on enjoying it, it'll be strictly work, so I can have some sex to write about.

Anonymous said...

It is remarkable, very good message