Thursday, July 15, 2010

"I Wanna Be Sedated" by Ramones



Today's birthday boy is Marky Ramone, the drummer for the seminal punk rock band the Ramones who replaced the departing Tommy Ramone in 1978; previously Ramone (Marky, not Tommy) beat the skins for Dust and Richard Hell & The Voidoids. He played with the Ramones on and off for 15 years, following which he collaborated with The Misfits and also recorded solo work with Marky Ramone & the Speedkings.

Marky's first recordings with the Ramones were for their fourth album - Road to Ruin - which contains the timeless ditty I Wanna Be Sedated, arguably their greatest hit*. The song was written by Joey Ramone during a particular boring Christmas spent in London, and is frequently favoured by musicians for its unflinching look at the boredom engendered by touring.

Apropos of nothing (except it's a good chance to include another link!) the video contains an appearance by a young Courtney Love.

*Although I've always been slightly more partial to The KKK Took My Baby Away, even I have to admit that this one does get played more, even on corporate radio; I Wanna Be Sedated also has a higher play count in my iTunes.
*
share on: facebook

No comments: