Friday, April 09, 2010

"The Masochism Tango" by Tom Lehrer



In honour of Tom Lehrer's birthday I watched half a dozen performances by the man himself in his hey-day in search of the ideal song of his to post here; it is just such tasks which make research my single favourite part of blogging... Well, that and being able to do it in your underwear.

I eventually chose The Masochism Tango because there was something in the lyrics which spoke to me; admittedly, it mostly spoke to the masochist part of me - and it didn't so much speak as taunt - but there you have it. The song originally appeared on Lehrer's establishment offending 1959 album An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer, alongside such fellow classics as Oedipus Rex, The Elements, and Poisoning Pigeons in the Park - although he'd been performing it for some years before that in his cabaret act.
*
share on: facebook

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Thanks for reminding me about this guy! My old science teacher brought in his turntable and played us 'Pollution', must have been 19 years ago. Definitely something today's science teachers should be doing in today's classrooms- particularly as I've just watched a tubby kid stuff a slice of pizza in his mouth and dump the box in my neighbour's garden...