Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Books Wormed - "Born To Kvetch" by Michael Wex

Maybe you know that sick feeling when a book you're enjoying suddenly goes over your head. Then again, maybe you don't.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketI do, and this is its cover.

Now, when it comes to linguistics, I'm not exactly cunning... Despite recognising most of the words in Born To Kvetch I'll be damned if I can figure out why the author has chosen such complicated patterns to put them in. I probably would have given up on it by now, but I'm really interested in the subject. Besides which, the parts I can understand are really good.

Alas, the further into it I read, the farther apart those bits I can understand are getting.

It's good to get your brain out of its familiar rut from time to time; if you're me, you enjoy making your brain the consistency of pizza dough on a regular basis.

I may have met my match here.
share on: facebook

No comments: