Saturday, August 25, 2007

1111 - A Year In Review

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket





[In this gorgeously moody engraving by Gustave Doré, Bohemund I is seen climbing the ramparts of Antioch alone during the First Crusade.]







* * *

For those of you who are interested in interesting things, the year 1111 will be of no interest to you.

However, if you're like me, and revel in what you don't know (especially since there's so damn much of it!) then 1111 is a veritable cornucopia obscura. Or something like that.

A n y w a y...

In case you weren't aware, that's the year the Synod of Rathbreasail was held, which profoundly reordered the Church in Ireland. That was pretty... Uh. Important.

Henry V was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Paschal II? Most powerful man in Europe at the time... And the Emperor wasn't too shabby either. No?

Baldwin VII became Count of Flanders? I mean, he probably wasn't even voted Most Likely To Succeed in high school or anything.

I understand. I'll be nice and spare you any mention of Agnes of Babenberg, Henry of Blois, or even Bohemund I of Antioch.

Hee hee hee...
share on: facebook

No comments: