Sunday, September 09, 2007

Damien Hirst's $100M Rip-Off?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
[Roman Heart, taking one for the team,
in Falcon Studio's
Heaven and Hell, $69.95.]


The first thing I thought when I saw Damien Hirst's newest sculpture, a diamond-encrusted skull which recently sold for a hundred million bucks, was "Oh, the decadence!" The next thought, mere minutes later (once I'd been revived), was "Where have I seen that before?"

It turns out that in 2006, the nice people at Falcon - the world's foremost purveyors of all-male erotica - released an epic film called Heaven and Hell, and in a couple of the scenes what should I spy (eventually) but...

A diamond-encrusted skull?

Now, it may be that I missed Art History the day they covered "Bits of Skeleton Covered in Precious Gems Through the Ages" (probably because I've never been to university), but the "coincidence" did seem a little queer. Unlike the rest of it, of course, which is a lot queer.

Methinks maybe Damien Hirst has some 'splainin' to do...

[S O U R C E]
share on: facebook

No comments: