Saturday, September 04, 2010

Pop History Moment: The Little Rock Crisis

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was on this day in 1957 Arkansas governor Orval Faubus deployed the National Guard to protect the state from the severe threat of nine black teenagers (7 of them female) trying to get their education at Central High in Little Rock...

The stoic determination of the Little Rock Nine throughout the ensuing Little Rock Crisis would serve the cause of the Civil Rights Movement almost as well as the hatred on the white faces visible in this photograph.
*
share on: facebook

3 comments:

Daniel said...

I love that Photo, with the sneering woman in the background. I'm sure I saw a documentary where they tracked her down but.. i just can't distinguish between things that really happened and things I just envisaged anymore. *Sigh* Any idea, O Oracle?

michael sean morris said...

Believe it or not, it may have been Oprah. They did a show on this last year, and reunited many of the main people.

TheQuestionMan said...

I really am glad I will never understand that kind of thing.

Cheers

QM