Saturday, September 04, 2010

"Everything Old Is New Again" by Mitzi Gaynor



Birthday wishes go out today to Mitzi Gaynor, the vivacious comedienne, singer, and dancer who graced many a film in the 1950s, and many a nightclub stage thereafter. In fact, many of the acts she wowed 'em with in Las Vegas were broken in at The Cave - that legendary Vancouver night spot - making her one of the first Hollywood types to develop an affinity for our little town. From the start the feeling was decidedly mutual, and remains so to this day...

Everything Old Is New Again was written by Peter Allen and Carole Bayer Sager; Miss Gaynor is seen here performing it on a 1976 television special, Mitzi...Roarin' in the 20's, which is technically an impossibility, since she was born in 1931. I figured that posting this would be slightly less obvious than I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair, which of course she sang in the 1958 film South Pacific. It's a performance I've never understood, as I'd never wash Rossano Brazzi out of anything of mine, and that's a fact!

Then again, I always was more partial to her performance in the 1957 film Les Girls anyway, so what do I know?
*
share on: facebook

No comments: