Saturday, November 06, 2010

Happy Birthday Sally Field

Amazingly, Sally Field today turns 64; even more amazingly, she still looks like Sally Field, rather than a Frankenstein's monster version of Sally Field, a fate which has befallen many of the women of her generation in Hollywood. (This means you, Joan Van Ark...)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketAlthough renowned for such comedy fare as TV's Gidget (1965-1966) and The Flying Nun (1967-1970), and later for films like Punchline (1988) and the hilarious Soapdish (1991), Field has also excelled at drama, turning in a searing and prescient performance in Not Without My Daughter (1991).

Still acting, Field returned to TV recently in the show Brothers & Sisters, which was created by the well-respected gay playwright and all-around wunderkind Jon Robin Baitz. Then, in 2007 Field won an Emmy for portraying Nora Holden Walker on Brothers & Sisters, which was given an unexpected boost of publicity when Fox censored anti-war remarks she made during her acceptance speech.

The two-time Oscar winner - for Norma Rae (1979) and Places in the Heart (1984) - will always have a place in my heart for her portrayal of M'Lynn Eatenton in Steel Magnolias (1989), which I mention so often on this blog it's in danger of becoming an inside joke.

That's right: we like her! We really like her! (Aw, c'mon; you didn't think I'd write a post about Sally Field and not go there, didja?)
*
share on: facebook

3 comments:

Gavin said...

I saw her filming some exterior shots for Mrs. Doubtfire when I was on vacation in San Fran way back when...I loved her most in Norma Rae especially when she holds up the "Union" sign in the factory and slowly everyone shuts down their machinery.

michael sean morris said...

So many great moments... Too many to include, really. I didn't even touch on "Murphy's Romance" or "Mrs. Doubtfire".

Seumas Gagne said...

I loved the flying nun so much that I built my own nun hat and habit as a wee boy. Never got off the ground, but at least my family had their first clear hint of what kind of person I was going to be.