Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Gratuitous Brunette: Sarah Silverman

It always amuses me to read about how someone's been offended by Sarah Silverman; I mean, one doesn't often read about how someone's been informed by Brian Williams, although there is a plethora of material on the Internet about exactly who's spanking it to Gisele Bundchen...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketBy offending you, you see, Sarah Silverman is only doing her job; besides which, anyone offended by Silverman had better stay away from Lisa Lampinelli, Jason Rouse, or Karl Rove. There's far worse out there, is all I'm saying.

Not that I'm not easily offended - far from it; I have thinner skin than an apricot. I just prefer to be offended by a co-worker uttering a hateful epithet - or even by a seatmate on the bus directing their invective directly at me - than anything a person who's being paid to shock me with jokes might have to say. There's more than enough out there to keep me offended without my going out looking for more, thank you very much. Yet many of the professionally offended continue to take her bait time and time again; honestly, I don't know how they manage to get through the day...

In the meantime I plan to go on admiring her fearless takedowns of bigotry and misogyny and yes, occasionally even homophobia, for a long time to come. In the meantime, I guess, I can always dip into the vault and rewatch an earlier show of hers, the pseudo-raunchy puppet-fest Greg the Bunny. In fact, I can't think of a better way to celebrate this lady's birthday!
*
share on: facebook

No comments: