Wednesday, December 01, 2010

What's The Occasion? World AIDS Day

Today marks the twenty-second observation of December 1st as World AIDS Day; to date, AIDS has killed more than 25 million people worldwide, and more than 38 million are currently living with HIV. In both cases most of these are in the developing world...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketDecember 1st also used to be called The Day Without Art, a day on which creative types were to let their hands fall silent in memory of their colleagues who'd succumbed to the disease; understandably, I never observed this custom, and it seems to have fallen out of favour in general, although I'm sure there's no connection between the two.

I believe in using my art - not just on this day but throughout the year - to bring to light into the darkest corners; the idea of sacrificing that form of expression to remember people who did likewise seemed counter-intuitive, as my art is not only how I remember but how I remind myself that I am alive.

I'm very lucky when it comes to my friends and AIDS/HIV; one death and only a few infections - not so bad considering the devastation caused to some. I fear though, since HIV infection is currently on the rise - thanks to the prevalence of bug-chasers and the universal notion that HIV is somehow survivable - that my numbers have nowhere to go but up...
*
share on: facebook

No comments: