Saturday, April 24, 2010

"Somewhere" by Barbra Streisand



My first mentor as a gay man was a super snotty but ultra smart 11th Grader named Don Babey, whom I met on my first day of high school. Fortunately, I started high school in Grade 10, otherwise I don't think I would have survived it; also fortunate, my friendships with older kids, all of which were centered around the library, where our little squad of geeks and outcasts enjoyed the protection of a pillar of steel wrapped in a sweet old lady named Mrs. Osterried...

Don was the one who taught me about The New Yorker, the films of Woody Allen, and Barbra Streisand to name just three; all three of which to a certain extent have sustained me in their way over the past twenty years. His mania for The Broadway Album (1985) became mine; her version of Somewhere, from West Side Story, became the defining one for me. The trippy video even satisfied my zeal for space travel!
*

share on: facebook

No comments: