Sunday, June 06, 2010

"Me So Horny" by 2 Live Crew



Thanks to the dim bulb illiterates who seem to form the bulk of Wikipedia contributors, I have been actively trying to confirm the following enticing bit of pop history:

June 6th, 1990 - U.S. District court judge Jose Gonzales ruled that the rap album As Nasty As They Wanna Be by 2 Live Crew violated Florida's obscenity law; he declared that the predominant subject matter of the record is "directed to the 'dirty' thoughts and the loins, not to the intellect and the mind."

My inability to confirm the accuracy of this item (at least as far as it regards today's date) means I couldn't in good conscience include it amongst the other POPnews items for today; try as I might to make POPnews as accurate as possible, I am as consistently thwarted in this aim by, for instance, the Julian calendar* as I am by the many pranksters Wackypedia seems to attract. Still, I was intrigued by it, and so in the name of free speech**, decided to put it in its own post anyway.

Me So Horny caused enough controversy to ensure its success when it was released in 1989; not only was it one of the first smash hits of the hip-hop era, the Dirty Rap ditty made it all the way to #26 on the Billboard Charts as well, and the video was in heavy rotation on MTV (albeit in a heavily censored form). This version, though, seems to be entirely uncensored, and is thus proudly presented here on the Pop Culture Institute.

*You cannot imagine how much I hate the Julian Calendar.
**Plus I was looking for a video to post.
*

share on: facebook

No comments: