Tuesday, July 06, 2010

"Absolutely Fabulous" by Pet Shop Boys



Even though the ground-breaking sitcom Absolutely Fabulous has a perfectly good theme song - This Wheel's on Fire written by Bob Dylan and Rick Danko, performed by Julie Driscoll and Mr. Jennifer Saunders himself Adrian Edmondson - it was decided that Pet Shop Boys should then record a charity single inspired by the show for Comic Relief in 1994.

Containing sound and video clips from the show in addition to new dialogue specially recorded by Jennifer Saunders, the song exists in a peculiar kind of netherworld; it is not considered a Pet Shop Boys single and appears on none of their compilations, yet in many ways is the band's quintessential song, defining their sound and their ethos succinctly as well as their relationship with pop culture.
*
share on: facebook

2 comments:

Seumas Gagne said...

I tried so hard to like that show...

michael sean morris said...

Monstrous characters just aren't your bag, I guess...

I must admit, it took me a few episodes to warm to it as well; due to its plethora of (to me, anyway) obscure references, it was a show that made me have to study to understand it.

In the end, it was my identification with Edina that won me over.