Monday, September 13, 2010

Pop History Moment: The Death of Tupac Shakur

Photobucket

On this day in 1996 Tupac Shakur - one of the last remaining of the socially relevant rappers - succumbed to injuries received on September 7th in a drive-by shooting after the Mike Tyson - Bruce Seldon fight in Las Vegas. He was 25. The mysterious circumstances surrounding his murder have been explored in the documentary Tupac: Assassination as well as in Assassination: Conspiracy or Revenge.

Shakur's gangsta cred did not end with a hail of bullets; after cremation his ashes were mixed with marijuana and smoked by members of Outlawz. I don't know if I'm more upset that a) a dozen years later police are no closer to solving the case, or b) he stole my idea for the memorial service I want, or c) I wasn't invited, since alive or dead I would have loved nothing better than to have smoked him myself.
*
share on: facebook

No comments: