Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Hold Me Now" by Thompson Twins



Birthday wishes go out today to Tom Bailey - not merely one-third of Thompson Twins but also one of the first of those impossible celebrity crushes to which I am preternaturally disposed; there's just something about English guys, with their pasty skin and floppy hair, that makes me shudder like a jalopy on a gravel drive.

A n y w a y... Here we see the video for the band's biggest hit, Hold Me Now, which record I played so much I just about gave my mother a nervous breakdown. Fortunately her nerves were slightly more durable than vinyl and so she survived the ordeal*. The track originally appeared on the band's 1984 album Into the Gap.

Thompson Twins - Bailey, Alannah Currie, and Joe Leeway - had a few hits in the mid-80s, including Lies, King for a Day, and Lay Your Hands on Me, before disbanding in 1993. The band, of course, was named after Thomson and Thompson in Hergé's comic strip, The Adventures of Tintin.

*I'm only joking; it was having a gay son that just about gave my mother a nervous breakdown, and not his taste in music.
*

share on: facebook

3 comments:

Mathias N Oz said...

I miss the 80's.

michael sean morris said...

Yes, I'm beginning to get that impression... ;)

I miss parts of the 80s, certainly, but I don't recall the entire decade with the same unalloyed pleasure; oddly enough, most of what I miss about it I don't have to, because it's been recorded in some way.

Gavin said...

I saw them play at Saratoga (NY) Performing Arts Center (SPAC). Not sure, but probably 1984. Berlin opened. I was in the 4th row in front of the speakers and couldn't hear anything for weeks!