Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Queen Latifah

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketWhen I was 19 I was living in Ottawa, dating Morgin (soon to become Lisa), and had only a vague idea what I wanted to do with my life. (Hint: it had something to do with writing.)

One day, while hanging out at Morgin's place we were watching a show on MuchMusic (which, like MTV, once used to actually show music videos*) called Rap City. That particular episode was a pretty listless one, until a new video by a new performer was announced. Given how smart my readers are, they'll have already guessed that the performer was Queen Latifah; the song was Come Into My House, from her groundbreaking 1989 album All Hail the Queen. At 19 she was doing what she wanted to do, and I was having sex with a woman trapped in a man's body.

In the years since my own ambitions have gradually crystallized while the lady has gone from strength to strength (not without a few bumps along the way, which she handled admirably). She has since received a well-deserved Oscar nomination - for setting the screen alight in Chicago - so it's really time I started playing catch-up.

*I realize this will be difficult for some of you to comprehend but I assure you it's true... If you don't believe me, ask your parents.
*
share on: facebook

4 comments:

michael sean morris said...

FULL DISCLOSURE: This post was originally published last year; I cleaned it up a bit today to meet our impeccable standards, but it's essentially the same.

TheQuestionMan said...

Sometimes too muh information is just that.


LOL


QM

michael sean morris said...

That is where you are wrong my friend; since the opposite condition is "not enough information", and since that condition is the means by which we oppress ourselves, there is no such thing as too much information.

Too much for you to handle, maybe, but this is the Information Age.

(Did I not warn you that you'd learn more about me than you cared to on this blog?)

Seumas Gagne said...

I love the Queen beyond words.

And I've found that QM's good-natured comment has motivated me to write a blog post.

See y'all soon.