Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Is It A Crime?" by Sade



From Sade's second album Promise, released in 1985, comes the second of three videos on this, her birthday. The name of the album refers to Sade's father, who was being treated for cancer at the time, and had promised her that he would get better. I can't seem to find any information on whether he made good on that promise or not, but in any event I'd like to dedicate this song to people living with, and attempting to overcome, cancer.

Is It A Crime was never a huge hit, except at my house, where it was in heavy rotation throughout 1986; I just love the way it builds and falls repeatedly. It was around this time that I began to have serious misgivings about the way people listened to music; this song was as good or better than most stuff on the radio that year, yet do you think I could drag anyone away from their Def Leppard or Bon Jovi long enough to listen to it...?

No!
(Not that I'm bitter. Much.)
*
share on: facebook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all time favourite. LUV HER!

michael sean morris said...

Glad to hear it!